- The New School, New York, USA (expected 2018)
- The New School, New York, USA (2015)
- London School of Economics and Political Science, London, UK (2011)
M.Sc. Development Studies
- University of Oslo, Oslo Norway (2009)
B.A. Development Studies and Human Geography (with 1 semester at UC Berkeley)
FELLOWSHIPS AND AWARDS
- The New School for Social Research
Prize Fellowship (2015-18)
- Norway-America Association
The American-Scandinavian Foundation’s King Haakon VII Fund (2015-2017)
- The New School for Social Research
Outstanding M.A. Graduate Award in Economics (2015)
- Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Scholarship for UN interns (2014)
- Debt Justice Network Norway
- The New School, New York, USA (2016-2017)
I designed and taught two undergraduate classes: “International Organizations and the Political Economy of Development” and “Alternative Approaches to Economic Development”.
- John Jay College of Criminal Justice, New York, USA ( Spring 2016)
I designed and taught the class “Global Economic Development and Crime,” which is an introductory undergraduate Economics class.
- The New School, New York, USA ( August 2014 – May 2016)
I led the seminar section of Professor Sakiko Fukada-Parr’s Development Economics class. This is a class for MA students in International Affairs. I taught it in Fall 2014, Spring 2015, and Fall 2015, and Spring 2016.
- Barnard College, Columbia University, New York, USA (Fall 2015)
I assisted Professor David Weiman with his “Introduction to Economic Reasoning” class, which is an undergraduate introductory Economics class.
- University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway (Summers of 2012, 2013, 2017)
- Debt Justice Network Norway, Research Consultant (Summer/Fall 2016)
Conducted empirical research on the issuance of sovereign bonds in sub-Saharan Africa. Conducted field work in Nigeria on the political and legal process of bond issuance.
- The New School, Research Assistant (2016-2017)
Researched the literature on the rise of the middle class in Africa. Principal Investigator: Janet Roitman, PhD
- The New School, Economics Student Advisor (Spring 2015)
Provided peer counseling and general advice to currently enrolled and prospective NSSR graduate students.
- The New School, Research Assistant (2014 – 2015)
I supported Professor Sanjay Reddy both with research and in his capacity as Director of Undergraduate Studies.
- The UN Department for Economic and Social Affairs, Research Intern (2014)
I provided research assistance for the Financing for Development Office of UNDESA. My internship was fully supported financially by The Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Debt Justice Network – Norway, Political Advisor (2011 – 2013)
Analyzed trends in debt and development policies, provided information to the public on debt and development through media, seminars and lectures, was responsible for the organization’s website, convened and spoke at national and international meetings, planned and implemented advocacy strategies for relevant national and international processes.
- Re-Define, Research Associate (Spring 2011)
Provided research assistance on development issues for the Managing Director, Sony Kapoor
- Jubilee Debt Campaign, Research intern ( Fall 2010)
Provided research assistance on export credit agencies and updated debt statistics on their website
- ASK Project Cameroon, International Trainee (Spring 2010)
Carried out peer education projects, sensitized youth on sexually transmitted diseases, fundraised, and participated in various training programs. Involved a 6-month stay in Cameroon, working language was French.
COMMITTEE, SERVICE AND COMMUNITY EXPERIENCE
- Advisory Board Member, Rethinking Economics Norway (2017-current)
- Coordinator, Young Scholars Initiative (INET) (2015 – current)
- Founding Editor, Developing Economics (2016-current)
- Graduate Student Trustee, The New School (2016 – 2018)
- University Student Senator, The New School (2016 – 2018)
- Founding Board Member, Rethinking Economics Norway (2016-2017)
- Reviewer, Development and Change and Contemporary Economics
- Associate Editor, The New School Economic Review (2016-2017)
- Executive Editor, The New School Economic Review (2013-2016)
- Student Representative, The New School Economics Department (2014-2015)
- Editor, Gjeldsbrevet (issues: 1/2009 and 2/2009)
- Board Member, Debt Justice Network Norway (2009)
- Trento Economics Festival, Trento, Italy (2017)
Presented “Off Balance: A Classical-Structural Framework for Explaining African Deficits”, INET-YSI
- Council on Foreign Relations, New York, US (2017)
Presented “Causes, Effects and Cures of Underdevelopment”, U.S. in the World: International Law and
- University of the Free State, Bloemfontein, South Africa (2017)
Launch of Dependency Theory Book: Dialogues on Development
- Launch of Agora, Litteraturhuset, Oslo, Norway (2017)
Participated in a panel discussion with philosopher Arne Johan Vetlesen and political scientist Stein S. Eriksen
- The New School/UMass Graduate Workshop, University of Massachusetts, Amherst MA, USA (2016)
Presented “Dependency Theory – Outdated or Just Out of Fashion?”
- Bond to Happen? Recurring Debt Crises in Sub-Saharan Africa and the Rise of Sovereign Bond Issuance, IMF Civil Society Forum (2016).
Presented a report I had written and discussed the findings with the panelists Mark Flanagan (IMF), Richard Kozul-Wright (UNCTAD), Jose Oyola, and Tirivangani Mutazu (Afrodad). Here is a summary of the discussion written by the Bretton Woods Project (and here is a summary of the discussion in Norwegian).
- Trade, Human Rights, and Development, Georgetown International Law Institute (2016)
Guest lecturered for their summer school program
- MDG Lessons for Post-2015, The UN World Economic and Social Survey (2015)
Served as a discussant on the topic MDG lessons regarding economic policies
- Development, Thought and Policy Event, The New School (2014)
Presented “Global Development Goals: What, If Anything, Are They Good For?”
- Southern Economic Association, 84th Annual Conference, Atlanta (2014)
Presented “The African Debt Rush—Assessing Effects of Sovereign Bond Issuance in Sub-Saharan Africa”
- The Stream, Al Jazeera, International television (2014)
Debated “No democracy, no aid?” with Professor William Easterly
- The Eastern Economic Association, 40th Annual Conference, Boston, Massachusetts (2014)
Presented “The African Sovereign Bond Rush: Risks and Opportunities“
- Debt Justice Network Event, Litteraturhuset, Oslo, Norway (2013)
Presented “Er den norske gjeldsrevisjonen relevant internasjonalt?”